One common question people ask us is, “Could I use ear seeds for migraines?” Ear seeds do show promise for contributing to headache relief1, but the only way to know if they’ll work for your individual body and health conditions is by trying them. Plus, ear seeds are relatively inexpensive, so what do you have to lose?
Migraines affect at least 10% of the global population — and disproportionately more women than men.2 So this means that a lot of people around the world are seeking solutions to heal or simply just alleviate their migraines.
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. When you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. These commissions help support and maintain our business. Thank you for your support!
Ear seeds: What they are and how the work
For a natural, non-invasive approach, more people every day are turning to ear seeds for migraines. Ear seeds are derived from Traditional Chinese Medicine. They’re based on the idea of the human ear as a microcosm of the entire body, where applying acupressure or acupuncture to specific ear points activates healing mechanisms in correlated areas of the body.
But what are ear seeds exactly?
Ear seeds are tiny beads, pellets, or actual seeds that can be attached to the ear with a piece of adhesive tape. These “seeds” apply a constant, gentle pressure to the points on which they’re placed. Some people mistakenly call them “acupuncture ear seeds,” but there’s no puncturing of skin with the ear seeds; instead, they are a form of evidence-based acupressure that have been found to help with many different symptoms and conditions.
In addition to being effective, ear seeds have been found to be generally safe. Researchers have evaluated ear seeds’ safety and concluded that side effects are rare, and when they occur, they’re minor and short-lasting.
How to apply ear seeds for migraines
Step-by-step guide to apply ear seeds
You can apply ear seeds yourself or recruit a partner for help. Follow these simple steps:
- Gather your materials for ear seeding: After you buy and receive the My First Ear Seeds Kit and you start your trial with Auriculo 360 for ear seed placement charts, you’re ready to begin.
- Wash your hands: You want to start with clean hands to avoid the transfer of germs from your hands to your ears and the ear seeds.
- Clean your ears with alcohol wipes or a gentle cleanser: The purpose of this extra cleaning step is to remove oils from your ears so that the ear seeds adhere to your skin better.
- Identify where on your ear you want to apply the seeds: Touch the spot with your fingertip and even give it a little pinch so you remember where the ear seed should go.
- Use tweezers to gently lift the ear seed off the plastic strip its on: Go slow so the bead stays attached to the adhesive tape.
- Place the seed onto the spot you had previously touched: Then press and hold the seed for a few seconds to set it in place.
- Follow steps 4-6 above to apply the seeds to the other points.
Not sure you can get the process down yourself? We offer 30-minute virtual consultations with an ear seeds coach who can guide you over a virtual call where and how to place the ear seeds on your ears.
Acupressure points for migraine relief
Auriculo 360 is an app that has been developed by Miridia Technology, a company that provides cutting-edge healthcare tech in the field of acupuncture/acupressure. This app has a 30-trial that is absolutely worth every day of it — and beyond! (Tip: start your trial after you receive your ear seeds for migraines from us.)
Primary points in GREEN in the ear image below:
- Cervical Spine
- Lesser Occipital Nerve
- Shen Men
- Vagus Nerve
Secondary points in WHITE in the ear image below:
- Cervical Ganglia (Middle)
- Master Cererbral
- Master Oscillation
- Master Sensorial
- Muscle Relaxation
- Point Zero
- Sympathetic Autonomic Point
What Auriculo 360 has that we haven’t seen anywhere else is the 3D ear that you can move, rotate, expand and zoom. The ear featured here is just a screenshot, but the 3D functionality is a must-have because certain protocols (including ear seeds for migraines) have hidden ear points, such as behind in the ear or in the concha. You won’t be disappointed you used this app to fine-tune your ear seed placement.
Duration and frequency of ear seed application
Many research studies on auricular acupressure have required their participants to wear ear seeds for a minimum of six weeks. Of course, it’s not a consistent six weeks of wearing the same ear seeds. You need to change them out after 3-5 days of wearing them. Our My Ear Seeds Refill Kit is available if you need to reorder seeds.
While six weeks is a lofty goal, we suggest committing to the 4-3-1 Rule:
- 4 weeks of wearing the seeds (you can do anything for one month, right? This is the habit-formation period)
- 3 times per day that you need to press on, or “stimulate,” the points with your fingertips
- 1 minute of stimulation or pressing each of those three times during the day
Talk to your healthcare provider about ear seeds for migraines
We’ve seen in the scientific literature that healthcare professionals, including physicians and nurses, are often receptive to ear seeds as a complementary therapy and treatment for various issues.
A couple of examples are in these articles:
- Acupuncture Alternative for Children with Cancer: Ear Seeds
- Ear Seeds for Babies: A Heartwarming Case for Auriculotherapy
Nonetheless, before starting any new protocols, such as ear seeds for migraines, please consult with your healthcare provider.
To sum it up
In conclusion, ear seeds should be considered as a potential natural remedy for migraine relief. The holistic approach of ear seed therapy, rooted in ancient practices, offers a valid and intriguing option for anyone seeking alternatives or complements to standard migraine treatments.
While individual results may vary, the effects of acupressure on specific ear points hold promise in managing migraine symptoms. We encourage you to think of ear seeds as part of a journey toward your overall well-being. Remember, the path to better health is a unique and personal one, and ear seeds could be the key to unlocking a migraine-free future for you.
1Sun, L. H., Li, X. H., Li, W. L., et al. (2015). Body acupuncture combined with auricular acupressure for menstrual headache: A randomized controlled clinical trial. Zhen ci yan jiu = Acupuncture Research, 40(1), 70-74. PMID: 25845225.
2Walter K. What Is Migraine? JAMA. 2022;327(1):93. doi:10.1001/jama.2021.21857