Are you experiencing hot flashes and looking for natural relief? You might be surprised to learn about ear seeds for hot flashes, an innovative approach to wellness (and for some, a biohacking tool, even).
Ear seeds, which can be small metal beads or seeds from various plants, are placed on specific points on the ear. This technique, rooted in auriculotherapy (“therapy of the ear”), targets different areas of the ear that correspond to various parts of the body and health issues.
By strategically positioning these ear seeds, the seeds apply gentle pressure to these points. This pressure is believed to help balance your body’s energy, potentially providing relief from uncomfortable symptoms like hot flashes. The effectiveness of ear seeds hinges on their correct placement, making it a crucial aspect of this unique approach to managing your well-being.
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. When you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. These commissions help support and maintain our business. Thank you for your support!
Ear acupressure points for hot flashes
Knowing where to place your ear seeds to help manage conditions that produce hot flashes, such as menopause, is the most important part of your ear seeding process.
Traditional 2-dimensional charts you see on the internet just don’t cut it anymore. This is especially pertinent to ear seeds for hot flashes. Why? Because there are hidden points in parts of the outer ear that a 2D ear seeds placement chart simply can’t show you.
That’s why we recommend Auriculo 360, the leading 3D auriculotherapy software. The screenshot of the ear below is taken (with permission) from Auriculo 360, but to get the full effect of a 3D ear you need to start the 30-day trial.
Primary points for ear seeds for hot flashes (in GREEN in the ear below):
- Master Cerebral
- Ovaries.E or Testes.E
- Point Zero
- Sex Glands
- Shen Men
- Sympathetic Autonomic Point
Secondary points for ear seeds for hot flashes (in WHITE in the ear below):
- Muscle Relaxation
- Pituitary Gland – Anterior
- Vagus Nerve
Note: The .C and .E notations refer to Chinese versus European points.
As you can see, the screenshot of ear above is slightly tilted. We were able to tilt and rotate the 3D ear in the Auriculo 360 app; however, even in doing that, we weren’t able to capture all the acupoints for ear seeds for hot flashes. Start your trial to Auriculo 360 for the full 3D ear placement chart effect here.
How to apply ear seeds for hot flashes
Once a) you’ve purchased your ear seeds for hot flashes and b) you know where to place them (see above section), you should be ready to apply them to your ears. Follow these simple steps (or for more extensive directions, read How to Apply Ear Seeds Step by Step (7 Steps to Success!):
- Gather your materials: ear seeds, tweezers, alcohol wipes, mirror, phone or computer with Auriculo 360 app downloaded and the “ear seeds for hot flashes” protocol up and ready to go.
- Wash your hands, then clean your ears with the alcohol wipes to remove oils so the ear seeds adhere well.
- Identify where you will be placing your 3-5 ear seeds per ear. Touch your ear point with your fingers so you can get a feeling for where the seed goes before you try to place it with the tweezers.
- Lift the edge of the ear seeds with the tweezers, place the ear seeds on your ears, and press and hold (for a few seconds) the seeds to set them in place.
When it comes to ear seeding, here are a few tips:
1. Practice makes perfect.
Most of us aren’t in the habit of touching our ears on a regular basis, so doing so for ear seeding can seem foreign. Keep at it, even if it means “messing up” a few ear seeds. Once it clicks, you’ll be glad you stuck with it.
2. Plan to use ear seeds for at least four weeks at a time.
This is evidence-based, with four weeks typically being the minimum amount of time researchers used in the methodology of their peer-reviewed studies on ear seeds and other forms of auriculotherapy. For best results, follow The 4-3-1 Rule to Use Ear Seeds Most Effectively.
3. Consult with a professional
Always consult with your trusted healthcare provider before starting a new health and wellness protocol, such as using ear seeds for hot flashes. Provide them with research on auriculotherapy if they have hesitations or concerns, especially if your provider is more conventional or allopathic as opposed to integrative or complementary.
Research on auriculotherapy and hot flashes
Speaking of research, at My Ear Seeds, we like to support the use of ear seeds with peer-reviewed articles and meta-analyses.
Two very recent articles in the field of auriculotherapy have emerged to underscore the effectiveness of ear seeds for hot flashes.
Here are the conclusions the researchers drew in these studies:
- “The auricular-acupressure technique can be applied as a simple, effective, and non-invasive alternative method for enhancing quality of life during postmenopausal period.” (Hadizadeh-Talasaz, Firoozi, Khadivzadeh, Azizi, Vatanchi, 2023)
- “Auriculotherapy could improve the problems of elderly and menopausal women and is suggested as a complementary and alternative method of hormone replacement therapy.” (Rahmanian, Kiani Mask, Abbaspour, & Irani, 2022)
Will you be using ear seeds for hot flashes?
If you are still hesitant about using or applying the ear seeds, we encourage you to book an appointment with one of our ear seeds coaches. This person can do a virtually guided consult with you to give you peace of mind and help you on a path toward success with DIY ear seeding.
Hadizadeh-Talasaz, Z., Firoozi, M., Khadivzadeh, T., Azizi, H., & Vatanchi, A. M. (2023). Effect of Auricular Acupressure on Quality of Life in Postmenopausal Women: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Journal of Midwifery & Reproductive Health, 11(1).
Rahmanian, S. A., Kiani Mask, M., Abbaspour, S., & Irani, M. (2022). The Effect of Auriculotherapy on Climacteric, Menopause and Old Age: A Systematic Review. Journal of Midwifery and Reproductive Health, 10(4), 3418-3431. doi: 10.22038/jmrh.2022.65583.1914